website mockups, what is fedora?

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 23 16:46:40 UTC 2009

2009/8/23 Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> On 08/23/2009 09:25 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> Forcing users to pick a desktop environment is no more a favorable point
> than forcing users to pick a text editor.

Well, not really the same. There are already some different text
editors installed by default. Vi, nano for example and the graphical
is anyways choosen by the DE.

Anyways. The whole point in this thread is about to have a "general
Download" link on the front page that leads to a download page with a
"default enabled" (radio button for example) image of the "fedora
gnome edition". And the other Fedora Editions like KDE, XFCE, LXDE and
the different spins we have.
You can combine that with lots of information with ajax technology or
popup windows or links to completely other pages.

If you can't grow your userbase with it, you can't anyways.

> In either case, it is the
> distribution's job to pick a default.

Nobody, absolutely nobody said you shouldn't pick a default. Of course
pick it, but show the rest as well in the same manner.
So you can satisfy everybody and have a default.

>> I cant completely agree with you here. I'm not saying that Fedora is
>> wrong with it, but the *how* is wrong
>
> If you want to grow your
>> userbase, you have to listen to your community. If you don't do it,
>> don't wonder if it's not growing (i do understand that you can't
>> listen for every single peep).
>
> Then, what does listening to the community mean, exactly?

You mean because of the "every peep"? That's obviously. If your
userbase is 10.000 user (fiction) and 5 users have the wish for XY,
that's a peep you, most likely, can't satisfy. If there's a vote of
4000 users of your userbase, you should maybe listen closer or you
might get some trouble. And if my english would be as good as my
german i could explain it with better words. Sorry.

> Community is
> not a single entity with a chorus view point. The free software
> community tends to be a very diverse group with very different and
> strong view points that contradict each other.  I don't agree that
> fanboysim in a voting poll is equivalent to listening to the community.

So what is listen to the community for you? And it has nothing to do
with fanboyism what i wrote. It's just the example with KDE.
But oh well, the "fanboyism" was the biggest wish of the community.
Look at that.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium