The current Trademark License Agreement is unacceptable

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 28 17:14:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:29:53AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Trademark law is a country by country thing or in germany state by
> state (Bavarian trademark rules may be different from Holstein rules
> and what is considered enforcing enough is different etc).

The last time Holstein had any kind of self-administration was in 1864
before it was merged with Southern Schleswig to Schleswig-Holstein</smartass> ;)

And to add something of value to the discussion: Trademark law in
Germany is federal-only, there are no state-specific
laws/registrations - I can only guess that this is similar for the US
as well, but maybe it isn't. Trademark law in the EU has been simplied
that much that it is almost as easy to register an EU-wide trademark
as a national one and users of these trademarks can start counting on
similar treatment across the EU.

Finally for international trademarks there is the 100 year old Madrid
protocol signed off by all major players which is bundling
international registrations in a single office in Geneva. This is
different from the EU registration in that it justs bundles the
registrations, but doesn't offer a single place of dispute.

What I want to say is that despite all possible country-specific
differences in law, trademark laws are quite old and had time to level
off across country barriers. There won't be many significant
differences from the US to Germany for example, and certainly not from
Bavaria to (Schleswig-)Holstein. ;).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net