ambassadors "conflict of interest"

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 20:32:49 UTC 2009

On 12/07/2009 08:41 AM, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>> Please accept my apologies if this is not the proper place to ask.
>>
>> I've never read anything against this, so I'm wondering if it was ever
>> brought up at all.
>>
>> Are Fedora ambassadors allowed to also be <put your alternate distro
>> name here> ambassadors?
> I think it's problematic. I think that Fedora ambassadors should
> high-value, trusted opinion-leaders, and should embody the energy and
> excitement of the Fedora project. Somebody who tries to act as a higher
> authority of why one would want to use Distribution X or Y for a given
> situation, instead of encouraging people outside the community or inside
> of it to make Fedora the best distribution for the task in question, are
> not being true ambassadors.

I agree wholeheartedly.

One of the distinctive things Fedora brings to the table is our
uncompromising values of 100% free and open source high quality
software.  Telling people about Fedora's values and then going around
and telling other people to download something which conflicts with our
core values (e.g. because they ship certain codecs/drivers) severely
demerits our messaging.