Planet material

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 16 05:06:51 UTC 2009

Hi Jon,

William Jon McCann wrote:
> I think we'd be a little put off if mailing lists, wikis, bugs, or IRC
> conversations were conducted in many languages at the same time.  For
> these we've adopted a lingua franca.  I propose we do the same for the
> "default" Fedora Planet feed.

Many multilingual posters post both in their native tongue and also
provide an English translation on the bottom. What do you think about
those posts and their appropriateness for the main planet feed?

As an American I worry because I know in other places being multilingual
is far more common and folks from such places are part of our community.
I think what might be nice is across any planets we have, to have a
sticky control where you check off the languages that you are interested
in, and you can check off more than one so if I want to read both
English and Spanish posts on the same page I can. And that setting could
be sticky / controlled by cookie so I ever only have to click it once
per computer I read from. (would be nice if the rss URL presented would
be modified to match my in-page language settings as well.) What do you
think about that idea?

Also, should there even be a main planet feed? Maybe we've outgrown it,
same as we obviously outgrew the barcamp process at FUDcon Toronto (a
good thing, so many awesome talks!) Maybe we could re-envision the
planet as multiple sub-plants that could kind of mirror the topics of
the major mailing lists, and the front page could be a dashboard of
what's going on underneath - kinda like the front page of news.google?

Then... maybe I'm going too nuts here.... but we could take a feed from
Fedora Insight, which is going to be edited / high-quality content, post
that up front and center... then have the individual topical planet
feeds in two or three columns underneath organized by category. Like the
latest 2 or 3 posts from each topic maybe...

~m