Succession planning change proposal

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Fri May 29 23:40:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, I'm happy to see that we have enough nominations for the Board and
> FESCo elections to require ballots and voting.  However, if that
> failed to occur in some future election cycle, we'd need to have the
> situation covered.

FESCo already has this situation covered in our Election procedures:

#  A minimum number of candidates are necessary in order to hold an
election. This will be the number of open seats + 25%.
# If not enough candidates have signed up by the deadline, the
election will be held back by one week for more candidates to appear.
If there are still not enough candidates, the candidates who are
present will be voted upon (or merely confirmed if there are less
candidates than open seats.)
# If there are not enough candidates to complete the ballot, all the
contributors listed in this section will be added to the ballot.
# If FESCo does not have the full number of seats filled at this
point, the vacant seats will attempt to be filled by the following
methods:
# If there are runner-up candidates from the previous election that
did not have the opportunity to be on FESCo, they will be offered a
seat according to their rank in the voting.
# If those candidates have been exhausted, FESCo will ask Fedora
community members that they think would do a good job if they would be
willing to hold the open seats.
# If the open seats are still not filled, FESCo will operate with less
members until the next FESCo election.