Status of the Free Media Program

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 22:57:02 UTC 2009

Hi Free Media Leaders,

I ended up on some of the Free Media program pages yesterday as I
followed some of the release links from
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

At first I thought the program had ended (as in permanently terminated)
because the pages I ended up said the program was closed.  This led me
raise this as an issue the board should get status on.  Then Paul
Frields told me privately that the program is very much alive and
suggested sending my questions to a wider audience who might be
interested and able to respond here.

1) What is the state of the Free Media program and how is it going?

2) Do you think the wiki page and the form are getting people to the
right place effectively and giving them the right information?  I was
little confused when I ended up at
https://fedoraproject.org/freemedia/FreeMedia-form.html and it said
"Fedora Free Media form is now CLOSED" but there was no mention of when
it would open and there are 90 different people to contact in my country
:-/  Do we really want random people emailing a random ambassador?

I also wondered if it was a good idea to be pointing people to something
they can't have or even request on our main "Day of Release" page:
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora ?

3) Realizing that all the people giving their time and money to the Free
Media program are doing this out of their own resources (which I think
is amazing), do the Free Media project leaders feel that free media is
getting to the right people--people that can't get it any other way?

4) Lastly, how can the board help drive more participation and
involvement in the great work that you do in the Free Media program?

Thanks for all that you do!
John