Fedora Remix and Adblock extension

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 29 12:45:24 UTC 2009

On 11/29/2009 08:34 AM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 04:16:31AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I include the Adblock extension by default in a Fedora Remix, would I
>> be violating the Mozilla trademark license agreement? Just wanted to
>> make sure before I do that.
>
> I'll start by saying that this isn't the place to argue Mozilla legal
> questions.

It is however the place to discuss Mozilla's trademark effects on
Fedora. The adblock extension is packaged and available in Fedora and so
is Firefox but it appears including them together is not permitted.
Peculiar to say the least.

> Red Hat and thus Fedora has permission to modify Firefox and
> Thunderbird (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLegalIssues).

Is this permission transferred to Fedora Remixes? If not, again this
seems unparalleled that Fedora Project would get a privilege for itself
that downstream distributions cannot avail of.  IMO, this goes against
the nature of Fedora and Fedora Board should consider whether this is
acceptable.

> It's a fair question.  It could also become an incredible timesink, so
> let's be sure we know what we want to get out of this before going to
> the lawyers for advice.  Specific questions please.

Hope the above clarifies what I wanted to convey. In summary,

* Am I allowed to combine Firefox and one of its extensions by default
in a Fedora Spin or Remix?

* Does Board consider Fedora Project having a trademark exception that
is not available for downstreams acceptable?

* Is this kind of situation limited to Firefox? If so, why the special
treatment?

Rahul