Board/FESCo mission/vision FAD

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Tue Aug 31 16:02:18 UTC 2010

I'll add my thoughts in here. ;)
(sorry, this could be long).

My understanding of where all the vision/mission/long term/high level
goals discussion started was 2 issues that were needing to be handled.
This is not to say that those discussions are not useful or couldn't
help us with other things down the road, but I think it boils down to:

a) Updates

The issue here is if we were going to try and have a slower to update,
more tested stream of updates for our "stable" releases. Both the Board
and FESCo said: "yes". Toward that end we have implemented (well, Luke
has in Bodhi for us):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_acceptance_criteria
Also, we have the Board's vision statement on updates:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
and Fesco's work on implementing that:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision_implementation_ideas

My only questions left here are:
1) Does anyone think we should just implement what we have so far and
hold off on the Board's vision for now? Or should that be implemented
as planned?

2) Does anyone want to help FESCo implement this.

b) Download/web site design

This was an issue as to who our download pages and site should be
tailored for. I think this was answered when the Board came up with a
target audience. Is there further work to be done here?

So, given that, I am not sure what other urgent items are pending that
would be solved/helped/answered by a vision or other high level
process. Does anyone have more?

I do think there is potential for FAD's here, but I think we could work
on-line now and isolate what those difficult things are to work on.
Implementing the Board's stable update vision could perhaps benefit
from a FAD, but we might well be able to do it without that, especially
if we get some people to step up to help us on it. Part of the issue I
think is that our docs are fragmentary and all over the wiki. We need a
single clear place for updates policy (all of it).

Just my 2 cents.

kevin