Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:10:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:12:29AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I do also agree with Jaroslav's distinction between different types of
> spin; from my area of interest, desktop spins inherently benefit more
> from the QA process because of what they do. The Electronics Lab spin,
> for instance, doesn't present a vastly different appearance out of the
> box than the Desktop spin - it's just a different selection of apps. Our
> testing process mostly concerns itself with stuff like 'does it boot, do
> basic operations work' which wouldn't actually differ much between the
> Desktop spin and the Electronics Lab spin - but certainly *do* differ
> between desktop and KDE, or desktop and LXDE. It would be difficult for
> us to mess things up such that the desktop spin fundamentally 'works'
> but the electronics lab spin doesn't, but we certainly can mess things
> up such that the desktop spin works but the LXDE spin doesn't (we've
> done it before).

Although, thinking of target audience for the spin, FEL could certainly
benefit from a different kind of testing.  Whereas the desktop spins need to
boot and be able to yum update, FEL is one part demonstration as well -- so
the programs that are being highlighted specially as being on the media
should work out of the box as well.

-Toshio