Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:40:41 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 11:48 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Lack of manpower has nothing to do with who gets paid and everything
> to do with who is willing to be part of that particular group and put
> forth time and effort to solve problems, paid or not.  You cannot
> place blame only at the feet of those paid simply because they are
> paid.  It has to fall to the whole group

Except for the fact that when that corporate entity has sole control
over certain aspects of a community project it can ( and it has been
done within the Fedoraproject ) prevent increase in community manpower
but for most parts you are right.

If we look the two issue regarding "Lack of manpower" Christoph mentioned.

"* You want QA? - We don't have the manpower, bye."

I would love to hear the reasoning behind that claim.

We have a very large and active QA community ranging from reporters
triagers and quality engineers which is largely made up of volunteers
and handful of Red Hat employs which are more or less dedicated to QE tasks.

We dont have a "SIG" that operates QA, up to this point QA is entirely
steered/controlled by Red Hat and thus directly/indirectly the resources
with it however that has never been a problem thus SIG has never been
considered needed everything is worked collaborative openly and more or
less together as sub community within the project.

Which makes this strictly a political issue not lack of resource from
the QA community.

"* You want a respin of your spin? - Manpower, you know..."

Well I think that it's time for anyone involved with fedoraunity to
chime on this issue and refresh everyone memory on what happened when
community members wanted to step in and lend a hand to increase that
manpower that is if anyone of them is still involved with the project
and is subscribed to this list.

JBG