Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 3 16:36:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 16:27 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> I'm pretty sure Christoph would have followed any procedure if he had
> been aware of it but then again people make mistakes all the time after
> all that's what's makes us human.
>
> Do you inform/announce/remind the relevant parties in the community
> about your release schedule at the beginning of each release cycle?

To be honest, no. We have a standard set of artwork we put out for each
release, and with some exceptions it rarely changes. That being said,
our schedule is published and in the same locations as all other teams',
and the design team list has very frequent reminders of deadlines.

The design team has enough work on its plate that we can't do without
soliciting folks for more work, you know what I mean? It seems overkill
to have a procedure for giving us more work beyond the ticket system.
IIRC Christoph filed a ticket, and there was no one with the time to
work on the ticket, and at the last minute he complained that he needed
the design in some hours. It so happened that the ticket was filed after
the artwork had already been created, otherwise it would have been not
too much additional work to roll it in with the other work. Since that
work had already been completed (late, according to the published
schedule) and we had other tasks we were behind on we had to move on. If
there was someone available to do it they would have.

Requesting something late isn't a guarantee it won't get done, but
certainly sugar works a lot better than vinegar in asking for people's
time and I recall a very stressful and demanding situation.

For the record, this was several releases ago.

~m