Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:53:05 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, den 03.12.2010, 13:26 -0500 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 19:17 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > >
> > > The design team creates sleeve artwork for the default Fedora install,
> > > live media & DVD, and for the KDE live media. We have been doing this
> > > for years.
> > >
> > > Asking us to create additional for-print artwork while I am eating
> > > dinner and asking for a turnaround of less than 24 hours before a
> > > release when we are neck-deep in last minute wallpaper, icon, and splash
> > > artwork bugs is not the way to get things done.
> >
> > The ticket was filed on December 19 2009, there was no alpha release or
> > whatsoever by that time. We wanted the media for FOSDEM, which is in
> > February. This is nearly 3 months and not 24 hours.
>
> A ticket I was completely unaware of. I am referring to when it was
> brought to my attention via IRC and I was asked to turn around a design
> within hours.

You received 3 private mails from trac before somebody else took over.
You continued to get mail over the design team list and the other
members of the team did get all mails, too. If this is not enough
something is wrong with the workflow here.

As Adam mentioned this is getting a little off-topic for this
discussion. I don't want to argue with you or play the blame game
because I hold your work in high respect. I managed to solve my problem
by doing it myself, so lets move on.

But I'd like to point out another spin related ticket that is pending
for nearly 11 months now:
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/113

The Security spin is not just another desktop spin. It could become the
de-facto standard for intrusion-detection and system auditing, the
rpm-based counterpart to GRML. It could be a great showcase if
      * it would get the necessary support from all groups within the
        project
      * spins were to define their own target audience
      * the board was not blocking tools that are on the wish list of
        the spin for months.

I think the fact that Jörg Simon was #1 in the recent board elections is
a clear message that the community appreciates his (our) work and should
reconsider their opinion on the Security spin (and spins in general).

Regards,
Christoph