Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 03:15:54 UTC 2010

2010/12/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>

> On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 21:51 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> > Now I wonder if you can take the next step, and consider "front page
> > real estate" one of those issues that might be worth discussing.
> > Because as of right now, it seems as though you're rejecting that
> > discussion out of hand.
>
> I've probably spent a lot more time discussing front page real estate on
> the website than most people in Fedora. Check this out:
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/
>
> Those 17 mockups of the main download page are just a fraction of the
> mockups and hours of discussion on IRC and mailing lists.
>
> With limited design resources is this the best way to be expending
> design time & effort? I'd personally rather work on things where I don't
> get accused of hubris and secret hidden evil intentions.

First of all, I'm not accusing you of secret hidden evil intentions.  As far
as hubris, shrug.  I've been guilty of it often enough.  It was not meant as
a personal affront; it was a reaction to the tone of a particular response.

As far as how we spend our time, I believe that this particular issue
represents a serious rift in very productive parts of our community, which
is why I believe it's worth the time to continue to discuss it.

The Spins site is beautiful and useful.  Are we doing enough to promote it?
 Could we do more?  Could we have an ad on the front page that rotates
through and gives the other spins some real estate?

The Spins folks believe that their work languishes in a corner.  Is there a
way to please everybody with limited real estate?  Probably not.  Is there
more that we can do to give individual spins more exposure?  Probably so.
 Do the Spins people keep asking for that very thing?  Seems to me that they
do.

> > I believe that there are creative ways of making it clear that there
> > is One Approved Choice for the novice, while at the same time doing
> > more to celebrate some of our other spins.  I really, truly, deeply
> > believe that.
>
> That's why we have a www.fedoraproject.org geared towards the novice,
> and spins.fedoraproject.org as more of an
> r&d-look-at-the-other-cool-things-fedora-can-do sort of space.
>

> We actually designed, developed, and launched spins.fedoraproject.org a
> full two releases before the new www.fedoraproject.org specifically to
> avoid the spins feeling outed. A lot of time, effort, and love went into
> both of those designs, but I can't force the spins owners to take
> advantage of what we built with & for them there.

Spins.fp.o is awesome.  How many people go there?  Is it unfair of Spins
folks to ask for help in promoting that excellent page you've developed?

> > Can we have that conversation without characterizing it as "a
> > choose-your-own adventure clubhouse type of affair"?
>
> When people stop telling me that large classes of users 'have no
> business' using Linux I will stop referring to them specifically as
> clubhousers.

Subtracting that word, there's still the inference that giving more real
estate to other spins from time to time is necessarily

> Hubristically yours

-1 sarcasm.  ;)

--g