Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 7 00:13:37 UTC 2010

Am Montag, den 06.12.2010, 15:26 -0500 schrieb Tom Callaway:

> - The Board suggests that it may have done a poor job communicating the
> decided target audience.

BTW: Did the board come up with a definition? I can't find anything in
the wiki. Is there anything beyond the 4 bullet points Paul mentioned in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00350.html

> - It was decided that before any action is taken on this topic, the
> Board should ask the existing Spins what they want/need.

I think I already listed a couple of very concrete items in the
"Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins"
thread. In order to start a more constructive discussion I'm copying
them over from the old thread:

      * Allow the spins to define their own target audience.
      * Allow the spins to ship the software they need for their use
        case.
      * Do not block spins or alike with the TLA.
      * Give the spins some more (I'm not saying equal) support when it
        comes to resources that are shared among all groups. While we
        certainly can gain more manpower, some things like the space on
        the DVD, the mirrors or the fpo frontpage is limited and needs
        to be shared more suitable.
      * Make sure groups don't make progress on the account of others.
        It is not acceptable if one group continuously makes a change
        that breaks several other spins/programs/desktops.
      * Allow the Desktop Live-CD to be called "GNOME Live-CD" or
        similar in some contexts. I'm not saying that we should get rid
        of GNOME as the default selection and I think the download
        options are already very good designed, but in some contexts it
        must be allowed to call GNOME GNOME, e.g. in the boot menu for
        the multi desktop DVD. The sleeves of the Live-CD should mention
        it is GNOME because the term "Desktop Live Media" is the #1 FAQ
        on events.
      * When it comes to decision making, make the decisions in time.
      * Listen to the spin community or the community in general and
        consult them before making decisions.

Comments?

Regards,
Christoph