Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Dec 7 00:16:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 04.12.2010, 22:37 -0500 schrieb Greg DeKoenigsberg:
> >
> > Spins folks: what steps would *you* be satisfied with?  Come with
> > proposals.
>
> I think I already mentioned some things a couple of times in this
> thread:
>       * Allow the spins to define their own target audience.
>       * Allow the spins to ship the software they need for their use
>         case.

Another way to word this is "Let all spins fork Fedora and then let them
continue to use the Fedora name"

>       * Do not block spins or alike with the TLA.

This isn't a choice.  This is a legal construct.

>       * Give the spins some more (I'm not saying equal) support when it
>         comes to resources that are shared among all groups.

"Give" implies that someone has something to give.  I don't think spins
are a right.  I think they're a responsibility.  If there's not enough
interest for the spins to get the resources they need, then perhaps
there's not enough reason for that spin to exist.

>       * Make sure groups don't make progress on the account of others.
>         It is not acceptable if one group continuously makes a change
>         that breaks several other spins/programs/desktops.

This bullet point conflicts with your first and second bullet points.

>       * Allow the Desktop Live-CD to be called "GNOME Live-CD" or
>         similar in some contexts. I'm not saying that we should get rid
>         of GNOME as the default selection and I think the download
>         options are already very good designed, but in some contexts it
>         must be allowed to call GNOME GNOME, e.g. in the boot menu for
>         the multi desktop DVD. The sleeves of the Live-CD should mention
>         it is GNOME because the term "Desktop Live Media" is the #1 FAQ
>         on events.
>       * When it comes to decision making, make the decisions in time.
>       * Listen to the spin community or the community in general and
>         consult them before making decisions.
>
> I think these were a good start.

More and more I think that spins do more harm then good.  I know I'm in
the minority on that.  I just think it's a hard pill to swallow.  In this
area, our reach far exceeds our grasp and has for several releases now.

	-Mike