GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:46:42 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 15.12.2010, 16:13 -0500 schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
> >       * Removal of the notification area which and the resulting API
> >         changes in libnotify 0.7.0 breaks all other desktop bug
> >         gnome-shell.
>
> You could certainly package libnotify06 if you really want; it shouldn't
> be that complicated.

I could have done that if I had the time to do it and if the libnotify
maintainer *properly* announced that change in advance. Even if I did I
doubt it would be possible to build against libnotify06 because
libnotify will be pulled in by the massive dependency chain, will be
found first and likely make builds fail.

> >       * Change from Nodoka to Clearlooks. Many people objected, after
> >         FPL spoke up the GNOME SIG promised to revisit the decision and
> >         keep us informed. This did not happen.
> >       * Black notifications that looked like a Ubuntu ripp-of. Again
> >         many people objected, but again GNOME SIG did not care.
>
> This is in the realm of 'upstream design decisions should be arbitrarily
> decided, debated, and reverted via Fedora'. I'm not sure that's a
> generally good tack to take.

The black notifications were not an upstream decision but introduced in
Fedora 12. And it was not decided or discussed, but simply announced,
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-September/msg00046.html

Clearlooks however was upstream, right, but as outlined in my previous
mail we shouldn't have switched. We lost the consistency across 3
different DEs and large parts of the obvious uniqueness that
distinguished Fedora from other distributions.

Regards,
Christoph