GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 15 21:59:00 UTC 2010

On 12/15/10 1:43 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 15.12.2010, 09:43 -0800 schrieb Jesse Keating:
>> On 12/15/10 8:51 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> And now there is
>>> http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2010/12/second-class-citizens.html
>>>

>> Having read that blog post last night, and actually read the IRC logs, I
>> think Nicu is way out of line here.
>>
>> A /request/ was brought to the meeting.  Not a demand.  A request.  It
>> was done respectfully, and with full awareness that the request would be
>> a touchy one.  Lots of useful discussion happened.  It did not appear at
>> all to be a demand, or to be "non-negotiable".
>
> The emphasis it was brought up with made it sound like it was not only a
> request.

What emphasis?  Perhaps this is another case of IRC being a poor medium?

>> Not only that, the request was for the Desktop spin, and only the
>> Desktop spin.  The other spins would be able to use the wallpaper they
>> wanted.
>
> I'm afraid this will create all kinds of packaging and upgrade problems.

Those are just technical issues.  If they can't be solved, then that's a
roadblock to this proposal.  But that's a discussion on a technical level.

>> This seems to fall much more in line with what you are asking,
>> which is to let the sigs controlling the spins have decision power over
>> what goes into them.
>
> Fair point indeed, however this is something that I'd like to leave to
> the project rather than to the SIGs.
>
> If we want to establish Fedora as a 'brand', we need to be different
> from other projects. Artwork is a point where you can easily gain a
> attention and recognizability without forking code. It also gives us the
> opportunity to establish a common look and feel across different
> desktops which is a big win for our users.
>
> I have do admit I was not a friend of Nodoka at first, but I began to
> like it and designed the xwfm4 and openbox themes to make Xfce and LXDE
> look similar to our GNOME defaults.
>
> With the move to Clearlooks we lost the uniqueness. Before you could
> distinguish a Fedora desktop from a distance of 5 meters but now we are
> just one more desktop.
>
>> So I'm really confused why you chose to bring this up.
>
> Because it is a good example that one desktop is more equal than the
> others. We also were the first distro to ship KDE 4, but nobody dared to
> ask if we ship their artwork.

Why is it Gnome's fault if nobody 'dared to ask' on the KDE side?  I'm
still confused how this is an example of "more equal" (what is this php
with "==="?)

> Regards,
> Christoph
>
> P.S.: You only responded to one out 10 examples. Does this mean my other
> points are valid?

No, it means that I actually read the linked to content from that one
point and had an informed response.  I cannot say the same for the other
points, chalk it up to TL;DR if you want.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!