GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 22:03:01 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 09:43 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Peter Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> And in fact its moving both ways. In MeeGo they are licensing their
>> look and feel as proprietary and we explicitly can't use it.
> It's just another symptom of a deeper and more widespread meme for
> upstream projects to take ownership of the delivered experience. Meego
> is drawing a land in the sand..a very deep line filled with sharp
> nasty pointed things...and saying quite boldly that their deliverables
> are their deliverables.  it will be very sad if that approach is the
> only approach that ends up being workable as it pretty much cuts out
> 3rd party distributors entirely.
>
> Consider the _request_ GNOME is making as an early olive branch to
> find a way to partner with distributors while still meeting the goals
> of taking having the upstream project taking ownership of the user
> experience.  We can't just bury our heads in the sand and just keep
> doing what we have been doing...because the landscape is changing. We
> have to figure out how to work with upstream projects when they want
> to take more control (and accountability) over the final delivered
> experience.

Ah we are finally reaching the inevitable point which begs the question
should not upstream choose which distribution should be the delivering
that experience and integrate as much as possible with that distribution
become that distribution itself?

As an example.

Gnome would choose to stop supporting various *nix platforms and settle
on one *nix platform and only on one derivative of it.

Let's say Gnome choose to use Linux as it's platform of choice and it
would choose one Linux distribution to be delivering that experience and
that distribution could be us or some other or themselves ..

JBG