GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 12:18:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:24:48 pm Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.12.2010, 08:43 +0000 schrieb "Jóhann B.
>
> Guðmundsson":
> > On 12/16/2010 12:40 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > > I've asked for
> > > clarification and more details from the Desktop team at Red Hat, so
> > > that I have a better picture of exactly what it is that they would
> > > like us to do.  I'd hate to make assumptions before I have the whole
> > > picture.  Once I do have a clearer picture, then we can work together
> > > as a community to find the right answer, and hopefully one that is a
> > > win-win situation for all involved.
> >
> > I think you are going about this the wrong way as in by asking them for
> > clarifications.
> >
> > What I think you should be doing is finding out why they aren't
> > communicating and collaborating more openly and better with the
> > community.
>
> I think Jared just an important point, not sure if he was actually aware
> of it or if it was just a Freudian slip: Jared mentioned the desktop
> team of *Red* *Hat*. It's not the desktop team of Fedora but of Red Hat.
> 10 out of 11 team members work for Red Hat, and the 11th, now inactive
> member used to work for Red Hat too.
>
> KDE SIG: 36 members, 4 work for Red Hat.

Core of KDE SIG is smaller. We even had FKDESCo one time - for issues where our
opinions diverged - of 7 members - 4 from community, 3 from Red Hat. But we are
practically not using it as we can communicate and collaborate without any
problems. It's more like - community should understand there's Red Hat -
investing a lot of resources to Fedora and vice versa - RHEL without Fedora is
bad idea.

R.

PS: it's not Red Hat as Red Hat - we have different opinions on different things
here too.