GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 16:44:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 11:25 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 11:21 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I'd expect to see upstream development happening transparently on an
> > upstream list.  Perhaps this is what we're looking for?

> The team also has weekly office hours in Gimpnet IRC, are very active in
> public IRC during other hours, and in general are easy to get a hold of.

...which are all *GNOME* processes, not Fedora processes (Gimpnet is the
GNOME IRC network, not the Fedora one).

> The designers have a public & advertised git repo for their design work.

Which, again, is a GNOME repo.

> I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone working on GNOME 3 of a lack of
> transparency.

It's not a lack of transparency, exactly - it's a location issue.
There's much less differentation between upstream and Fedora for GNOME
than for anything else. I was really just trying to note this for the
discussion as it's an important thing to consider, not necessarily
suggest that it's a problem; though it's something we should always take
account of and be careful in case it *causes* problems, like some of
those Christoph identified, and make sure we have things in place to
avoid those problems happening in future.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey