Wiki page for country

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Sat Jul 3 15:06:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 23:23 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 23:08 -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> > Consider: we don't want someone from -- oh, let's say Canada -- showing
> > up, realizing that there's neither a ca.fedoraproject.org nor a
> > ca.fedoracommunity.org site, and concluding that there's no one involved
> > with Fedora from her country (you can repeat the exercise with "us" or
> > any other country code in place of "ca"). At the same time, I really,
> > really don't want to create a new domain just to "solve" this problem.
>
> Is a domain beyond fedoracommunity.org and fedoraproject.org being
> proposed by anyone? I'm not proposing that.
>
> ~m

Sorry, I meant "domain" as in "subdomain":
foo.fedora{community,project}.org

I see three separate things here; let me sum them up from my POV--

- A discussion about whether foo.fedoracommunity.org should be permitted
to point to fedoraproject.org/wiki/foo (the original question). The
argument for this include making it easy to remember where local content
can be found, the argument against this is that it loses the original
meaning attached to fedoracommunity.org, that is, local community-run
websites outside of the scope of the main Fedora project. My opinion is
that this distinction is significant and should not be lost -- we should
not point *.fedoracommunity.org to resources within the main
fedoraproject.org space.

- Paul pointed out during the discussion yesterday that it would also be
possible to create foo.fedoraproject.org and have it point to a
particular resource (e.g., wiki landing page). I don't know if this was
an off-the-cuff observation that this is possible, or a serious proposal
that we do it. The other possibility, I suppose, would be
fedoraproject.org/foo, if the intention is simply to create short,
memorable URLs. Personally, I don't consider these to be a great step
forward from fedoraproject.org/wiki/foo.

- The idea of a better index page to all of the localized and local
resources is desirable, perhaps at www.fedoracommunity.org, with links
to foo.fedoracommunity.org and fedoraproject.org/wiki/foo (or fp.o/foo
or foo.fp.o) as appropriate. I can't see this as anything but win.

My concern, [badly] expressed in the previous e-mail, is that we run the
risk of fragmenting the community. "My stuff is under
baz.fedoraproject.org, that's where *I* contribute" ... "There is no
bar.fc.o, there must not be any Fedora activity in that country" ...
"Oh, there's a good resource for NetworkManager, it's in the Estonian
community site".

I would much rather see us concentrate our efforts under the fp.o
umbrella, and leave foo.fc.o for local initiatives (library rollouts,
discussions of legislation which will touch open source, national
installfests, wifi power/channel tables to comply with local
regulations, localization sprints, ...) and for localized content.

-Chris