Moblin -> MeeGo

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:16:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Paul Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason is that MeeGo is a trademark owned by the Linux Foundation,
> with its own set of usage guidelines -- which is what I wrote in my
> first email. We are aiming to meet their requirements because we
> respect their trademark guidelines the same way we expect others to
> respect ours.
>
> Fedora spins have never had requirements around their naming other
> than that their usage be approved by the Board, as a requirement for
> using the Fedora trademarks.

So given that this is the first interaction between our trademark
policy and an external trademark policy... perhaps its appropriate to
look at this as a chance to set up a style of naming as a better best
practise convention for spin naming.   You can't future proof for all
such interactions of course. But its good to have an understanding as
to whether this naming form is meant to be an exception or a best
practise moving forward.

First question:
Does "The Whatever Spin by Fedora"  form hold value as a best practise
for spin naming generally?

Second question:
Does this construction:"The MeeGo Spin by Fedora, a Fedora Remix"
meet the multi-organizational guidelines as well allowing use of the
secondary mark? And if so is this a potential best practise
construction for spins that want to use the secondary fedora remix
trademarks?

-jef