Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:19:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 02:04:17PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 13:14:38 -0400,
>   Paul Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It should be easy enough to start collecting some common desires for
> > users when they open up a browser the first time on a new platform.
> > The Design and Web teams could help us with this, but honestly I think
> > they have a *lot* on their plates right now:
>
> As people probably realize by now, I'm kind of an odd case. So my preference
> should should probably be taken with a shaker full of salt.
>
> My preference is that there is no page displayed by default. This ends up with
> the broswer phoning home before I get a chance to (easily) disable the page.
> This just seems like a way to do advertising or collect usage information,
> and isn't something I like to be saddled with unless some asks first.

I definitely see your point.  Certainly the browser is the most common
way that anyone gets information nowadays, and that can be used in all
sorts of constructive (and maybe not so constructive) ways.

I think a lot of us on this list are odd cases, and that it's
ultimately important for all of us in that category to realize that
basing the decision on our personal preferences can be a non-optimal
yardstick.