Wiki page for country

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at lesbg.com
Sat Jun 26 19:08:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 13:56 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:04:58AM +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > lb.fedoracommunity.org would be just dandy.  After reading the above
> > link, my main concern is that it isn't obvious that we can have
> > http://lb.fedoracommunity.org point to
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedoracommunity.org/Lebanon.  I am
> > assuming this is feasible and not against the "we don't provide hosting"
> > policy.
>
> Ah, I had misunderstood that the wiki to which you were referring was
> somewhere *other than* Fedora.  In fact this may well impact on our
> policy regarding fedoracommunity.org.
>
> One of the major objectives of the fedoracommunity.org domain
> structure is to allow communities to build their own content, and not
> have that content restricted unnecessarily by official Fedora Project
> policies.  The use of "fedoracommunity.org" as the domain name helps
> to clarify that the subdomains are managed independently and entirely
> by Fedora community members.
>
> To redirect a fedoracommunity.org domain to an official
> fedoraproject.org site is technically feasible.  But to do that, the
> site content would be restricted to only material that can normally be
> included on fedoraproject.org sites.  This issue is probably something
> the Board should discuss: Should we permit a fedoracommunity.org
> subdomain to resolve to any official Fedora Project site/page?
>
> My immediate thoughts are that the fedoracommunity.org subdomain works
> best when we get out of a community member's way to provide useful,
> localized information for Fedora.  The more restrictions we put on its
> use, the less useful it becomes.  Muddling up the fedoracommunity.org
> subdomain concept with the official purposes and policies of the
> fedoraproject.org sites is likely to make life more difficult for a
> local community that wants to grow its own content.

I totally see where you're coming from, and I have no problem not using
lb.fc.o until we get our own web site up and running.  I just don't have
time to set up a web site right now, and I wanted to get the information
out there so it's easily accessible.

All that to say, I'm ok with whatever way the decision comes down.

Jonathan