Increasing user testing and feedback (was Re: Bad-mouthing and hostility)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 01:40:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd genericize this. On firstboot, *EVERY* user should be asked if
>> they want to create a fedora account.
>
> This needs to go through the Fedora Design group.

I think getting them in now would be a good idea.

> I'd beg to please, pretty please, don't add stuff to firstboot; we
> need to get people to a functioning desktop as the primary goal.  If

Ok please take this with the ha-ha humour it is intended:

Once long ago every new install/user interaction went into anaconda
until it was too unwieldy. Lots of people wanted more stuff but it
wasn't getting added.

Then someone came up with the bright idea of something like firstboot
and lots of things went into first boot (over the howling screams of
people who only wanted anaconda.)

Then after a while firstboot got overloaded, and now nothing new gets
added to it. [Exaggerating for effect.]

So I propose 'first-user' so that when a user first logs in various
things that are user related can be done then :). It can even have
links to .ogg videos on how to use things.

Back to serious tone. I do believe that KDE or maybe Mandrake's
version of KDE had something like this... I found it quite helpful on
figuring out how to use the unfamiliar thing.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning