question for board members

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri May 7 16:01:27 UTC 2010

On 05/07/2010 04:47 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:

> The increase in packaging guidelines, and other bureaucracy, I think
> reflects the "scale" problem Mike brings up.  I don't think we've
> overwhelmed contributors with bureaucracy,
Try to put your self into the position of a complete Fedora newcomer.

You started with an arbitrary Linux-distro some years ago, some time
later discovered Fedora and were told there are possibilties to
"contribute packages". After having gone pregnant with this thought for
some time, you decide to do "dive into it".

Initially you will start with visiting "http://www.fedoraproject.org"
... At this point the "fun" starts ... dive through the wiki, be
confronted with FAS, bugzilla, FPG (and dozens of subdocuments), bodhi,
koji, packagedb, dozens of mailing lists,
mentors/sponsors/proven-packagers etc.

Later you'll be greeted with a confusing review process (e.g. flaged
reviews), divering, sometimes contradicing opinions and sometimes silly
advises.

I seriously wonder how a real new-comer can ever make it through this
"forrest". As I see it, what is in dire need is an "easy to use",
"unified" package submission-/package administration GUI.

For Fedora-old timers" the issues with Fedora's packaging processes
somewhat overlap, in particular with regard to the heterogenious nature
of the current packaging infrastructure.

But there are additional issues:
* many tiny usability issues in interacting with the infrastructure
causing inefficiencies in their work-flow.
* waiting for package pushes/struggling with chain builds.
* struggling with "what I am I allowed to do and what not".
* changes in packaging conventions.
* Struggling with the "process" and changes to it.

Ralf