You have been unsubscribed from the ambassadors mailing list

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 04:07:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
> <sspreitzer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Dear board,
>> Dear community,
>> Dear public,
>>
>> My access to the ambassadors list has been removed by force without my
>> knowledge or will.
>
> This is not acceptable to me.  I hope this was simply a case of
> someone being a bit over-eager with the unsubscribe button, and not
> done with malicious intent.  That being said, I'm working with the
> infrastructure team to see if we can figure out who was responsible.

While I appreciate your desire to be accommodating, Jared, I find it
ironic that coming so shortly on the heels of discussion about how to
handle "poisonous people" , we're now bending over backwards to
accommodate the very same in our midst.  While I appreciate the desire
of people to move on and seek other opportunities, there needs to be
an understanding among those leaving that "moving on" means "moving
on."  When you quit, you *do* step down from your roles.  When you're
a member of a closed mailing list for a project, and you quit the
project, you should be the one unsubscribing *yourself* and not
leaving it up to someone else to handle *your* paperwork.

To everyone else, moving on to this idea that "Red Hat OWNS Fedora,"
(from another, very very closely related "may as well be the same"
thread) why is this a problem, true or not?  Red Hat has been, and
continues to be, the very embodiment of the Free software ideal.  The
software is Free, you make your money on integration and support.
There is nothing evil about making money -- this is why we all
(hopefully, at least) have jobs -- to put food on the table and roofs
over our heads.

Why put all your work into a project that's an outgrowth of a
company's product (Red Hat Linux), then urinate on everyone as you
walk out the door because you're upset that it's.. an outgrowth of a
company's product?  Do you have any idea where Linux would be without
corporate sponsorship?  It'd still be running on lots of computers,
sure.. in people's basements.  It'd not be the behemoth that it's
become today.  Why look the gift horse in the mouth?

Is this written in anger?  You betcha!  I'm offended that someone --
great contributor or not -- can post this garbage, disparaging
everyone who still happens to think Fedora is a pretty great idea, and
then instead of simply being told "sorry to see you go, man, thanks
and good luck," and otherwise allowed to "gracefully" depart, gets
coddled to when he whines about having his access revoked *when he
just quit*.

At any rate, if you want to participate in a 100% community run,
democratic meritocracy, there's one out there already.  It's called
Debian.  You might want to check it out and take your rants with you.

--
Chris