late niminations for the board and FESCO

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 10 15:54:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 16:50:40 +0100,
  Christoph Wickert <cwickert at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> It seems we have 3 nominations for FESCo that came in late [1]. It's not
> that I have something against the nominees, but last year Robert Scheck
> was removed from the list for missing the deadline by a few hours.
>
> Should we make an exception this time and allow people to be late for
> days or should we declare their nominations invalid?

While I am not on the board or running this cycle, I don't think enforcing
the time limit strictly in this particular case helps the project. The
people signing up late don't gain an advantage relative to those who signed
up on time (other than being allowed to compete at all). My perception of
the election communication was that it wasn't done very well this cycle.
While I did know about it in time to self nominate if I had wanted to, I
could see people missing it if they weren't watching carefully.

Also note that we would have been very close to extending the nomination
period without those three extra nomination in any case. There were exactly
the minimum number of nominations entered before the deadline. The FESCO
rules require 25% more candidates than the number of open seats or some
special procedures are triggered. The first of which is "the election may be
delayed waiting for more candidates to appear, in coordination with the
schedule for combined Fedora elections". See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FESCo_election_policy