[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:54:19 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 07:59 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to be as "excellent" as I can in this reply, but as
> I have been involved with Fedora since day 0 (and before), not to
> mention having been with Red Hat for almost 10 years now, I can say
> without reservation that you do not have the complete story here.

You got to excuse me but I dont recall you spending that much time in QA.

> To your first point:
>
> "the only reason in increased QA employment surge from Red Hat is
> because Will manage to sell his dream pony"
>
> This is patently false. There have been many many people within Red Hat
> who have worked very hard to increase QA employment (and work allocation
> to existing employees) on Fedora. Specifically:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was not until Will start focusing on
AutoQA and James got brought in ( after Will had been busy doing other
things then paying attention to QA for quite some time ask him how often
I pinged him about that.. ) then a certain surge of employs starting to
appear started to appear after James ( before that he managed to get
some of his co-workers from within Red Hat from time to time to help
testing few things when we needed it ).

> * I pushed for Red Hat to hire Adam Williamson (formerly of Mandriva) to
> help grow Fedora QA/QE efforts, with a specific focus on building
> community QA/QE. I happen to think he's done a rather good job.

Yes he has but did you consider James for that position at that time?
( I was a bit surprised that he did not get that position )

> * I continue to ask Red Hat for additional resources to improve and
> accelerate Fedora QA initiatives. My management chain has encouraged this.

Our time line seems to be different when did you start to encourage this?

> * James Laska has been working tirelessly to increase QA employment and
> allocation of existing employees on Fedora. He regularly goes above and
> beyond the call of duty to ensure that not only is Fedora well-tested,
> but that we learn from our mistakes and are constantly improving our QA
> preocess. His management chain has been extremely supportive of this
> effort.

Yes he does and has from the get go..

> * All of the Fedora QA/QE members have been instrumental in organizing
> and coordinating Fedora Test days, even going so far as to involve
> groups within Red Hat who are not normally as active in Fedora as we
> would prefer.

Give credit were credit is due those test days are originally mine and
James idea I even wanted to take it to the next level ( Daily test days
) so I kinda should know as is the Fedora QA trac instance ( my idea
James pushed it through Jon Stanley set it up and thanked Will for some
reason ) along with How to debug stuff and general wiki improvements and
minor stuff here and there besides general testing and reporting..

> To your second point:
>
> "when they were making the 3 attempt to get triages up and running that
> it would not solve the underlying issue ( which it has not up today )"
>
> This is also false. Fedora 14 is the first release that we have hit our
> release target for. Ever. A big reason is the aggressive triaging work
> done during the post-beta process.

The original idea of triaging was not to hit some scheduled deadline
perhaps it was somewhere down the list but it was not the main focus of
that time en fact I dont recall it to be there at all.

JBG