Fedora vision & more specific goals

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 16 22:06:03 UTC 2010

Hi Jesse,

> By and large, we're just packagers and testers, with a few exceptions.
> Perhaps there is a large enough subcommunity of people who are actual
> code writers who can help with your goals, but mostly our work force
> would be great at getting whatever software somebody else writes
> packaged up and into the distro, and some level of testing on it.

I totally understand what you're saying. I think there's a couple of
ways we could look at this then:

1) Remapping

Can you think of any goals we could set, achievable by our average
skillset, that would help push us towards our vision?

Maybe at the least, some of the things I proposed would be achievable by
packaging any necessary bits we don't already have, and packagers filing
& following up on bug fixes & enhancement requests upstream. There's
some things we could achieve forward movement on too under these goals
by changing some of the default settings in Fedora, or maybe using
package groups to make things easier to set up.

2) Recruiting new skills

I think on one hand, considering the current skill sets we have is
absolutely important to make sure what we propose is achievable. On the
other hand though, if we decide to try to go somewhere awesome and work
hard at recruiting folks with the skillsets we need to make it happen, I
think it can't help but attract even more folks with those skillsets,
and pushing others to pick those skills up - starting a fire with a
spark sort of. Does that make sense or do you think it's too Pollyanna?

~m