Group proposal: FEMA, the Fedora Election Management and Administration

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:57:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 13:27:06 -0600,
>  inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For example, I often hear last minute scheduling cited as a
>> contributing factor and while that might be a contributing factor it
>> is also something that has been normal during well run elections too.
>
> In the past I think people jumped in right away to volunteer. That didn't
> seem to happen this time.

In the past people either existed or recruited replacements in
advance. And actually this election a replacement was recruited in
advance as well, but that person subsequently disappeared
unexpectedly. The coordinator(s) roles can pretty easily be
straightened out for the future but they can't be expected to be
filled by a call for help when the election begins. They need to be
sorted out well before that point.

> I don't think the current schedule would have been an issue if people had
> already volunteered to do stuff.

I mostly agree, although the current schedule itself was a problem not
allowing time to schedule other elements of the election that depend
on knowing who the candidates are before they can proceed effectively.
I'm optimistic we will do a better job of all of this in the future.

John