Why attitudes matter

David Riches david.r at ultracar.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 13:45:38 UTC 2010

FWIW, I just went through my personal logs, and this poor soul's story is ever-so slightly different from what I read. But then, thats what the feedback ticketing system is for. He could have easily filed a ticket and it would have been dealt with (using logs for reference) in due course by many of the #fedora ops old and new.

The ops-sig has spent lots of time recently asking for feedback, looking at behavior patterns and adjusting processes where necessary. The context is completely removed when this mailing list is not considering the positive feedback and tickets we have received - of which there are many.

There doesn't need to be a "monitoring the ops/channel" process in place at all, you simple /j #fedora watch, and give feedback to the sig where you feel its needed. Its trivial to contact the sig - we have a channel, a fas group, a mailing list, a support ticketing system and almost always there's a #fedora +o user present in the channel.

I actually firmly believe #fedora is maintained extremely well, and negative behavior is discouraged very quickly, however - tempers do occasionally flare for a multitude of different reasons.

I would suggest, in the first place - the contributors to this thread that are not only active on #fedora, but not even present should join it at their earliest convenience an actively participate with their free time (as we all do). They can then see, first hand how these situations a) can develop b) aren't always as bad as the reporter might have you believe c) how many of these situations are diffused on a daily basis.

Also, as Kevin has already said - the project benefits from more helpers on #fedora on a full time basis.

</$0.02>

Kind Regards

Dave Riches