Long term goals

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:17:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:29:10PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:56:18 -0500,
>   Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 3) While this cannot happen without item 2 (as has recently been
> > > proven), we need to increase our efforts to foster a culture of
> > contribution in Fedora.  While we've done reasonably well at this,
> > there's always room for improvement. One area that I think that we've
> > done well at, but still needs improvement, is the recruitment and
> > retention of "non-traditional" contributors. This would include areas
> > such as marketing, design, and Ambassadors (though a lot of
> > Ambassadors, myself included, do have other roles within the project
> > as well, and that should be encouraged as well). Here's where I need
> > help, as while I recognize that this needs to be done, I have no
> > concrete plans or ideas of how to accomplish it.
>
> We also could use a few more project managers as the only ones we have seem
> to be sponsored by Red Hat.
>
> I think one theme I have seen across a few groups is better documentation
> on how to get involved is needed. I have seen this mentioned in the design
> team, the infrastructure team, Spins SIG and for running the elections. This
> includes both steps to contact the team and description of specific jobs
> or tasks people might do. Some people seem to be reluctant to volunteer
> when they aren't sure what they are committing to and others want to help,
> but don't know what to do.

I think that mentorship has a higher return than documentation...  with
documentation, we seem to be pushing people into a deep blue sea of
information without really showing them how to apply that knowledge to
getting tasks done.  Mentors fill that gap.

I'm seeing that a lot in the package maintainer's space... less so in
infrastructure although, for the people I've helped into infrastructure,
I've taken the mentorship route where I think the sysadmin side of infra has
gone the documentation route more.

-Toshio