[Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Gregory Fenton fedora at fedoradvds.com
Tue Oct 19 09:28:11 UTC 2010

Just a little clarification:

Dual layer discs are actually not the same as dual sided discs, they can be
printed on just like a normal DVD.  Dual layer discs work by refocussing the
laser slightly above the normal focussing point so the data on the second
layer does not interfere with the first.

A lot of video DVDs are produced as dual layer DVDs, most drives can read
them without modification.

The fact some drives display "Dual Layer" is purely because they are DVD
writers, earlier DVD writers could not write to the second layer.

Dual layer is part of the DVD standard - all DVD drives should by design be
able to read dual layer DVDs even if they can not write to them.

Best regards to one and all

Greg Fenton