December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 20 17:33:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 12:15 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> I'm sensing a growing frustration from some of the people who have
> been heavily involved in Fedora for a long time, a sense of burnout.
> We've all felt it from time to time.  The lack of people stepping
> forward to take on leadership tasks, such as the Spins SIG leader, the
> election coordinator, and similar is concerning to me.  Am I alone in
> this?

You're not alone but I don't think I'm surprised.

For volunteers to feel appreciated they need to hear it from folks who
they do not perceive as OBLIGATED to give it.

So the FPL or the board saying 'attaboy' doesn't ring HOLLOW it just
isn't unexpected so it doesn't rate on the 'hey that's cool' meter that
a volunteer will have.

Since fedora is not really a production-targetted system the
contributors outside don't APPRECIATE it. They use it for testing. In
your tests how often do you care when something works  as you expect?

I think a lot of users have done what we said a long time ago: Treat
Fedora as a Tech preview of things to come in RHEL++. So they do that.

And therefore Fedora is not an end in and of itself. It is only a means
to an end. That end is the next RHEL.

-sv