Fedora Board Recap 2010-10-25

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 28 02:03:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 21:56 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> So no, I don't think rel-eng has agreed to this at all and I don't
> realistically think there is a possibility they will for F-14.  I
> guess since the Board punted to rel-eng, they get to be the bad guys
> instead of the Board actually making a definitive statement and not
> allowing hand-wavy exceptions to it's newly invented requirements.
> I'm ok with being the bad guy.  Others might view that as unfair to
> rel-eng.

How is this punting to rel-eng?

Would you feel better if the Board said "not approved for F14"? We felt
bad because there weren't guidelines in place when we were asked, but I
hope the requestors are under no illusions that this is anything but a
late-in-the-cycle request.

If anyone is afraid of blame please place the blame on me. It's my fault
if this doesn't ship for F14. Nobody should be blaming rel-eng for
*anything* here, nor setting them up to be blamed.

> >> As an aside, I strenuously object to the requirement of "Fedora themed
> >> boot screens, or not boot screens at all."  There is no rationale
> >> listed for this requirement and it prevents spins from offering a spin
> >> influenced variant of artwork (think the default screen, but with a
> >> KDE logo).  Most importantly, it precludes the use of the generic
> >> artwork that is freely available, thereby preventing the proliferation
> >> of his AWESOME BEEFY-NESS, the Hot Dog Guy.  I find this a travesty.
> >> I strongly urge the Board to reconsider this requirement, with
> >> preference on removing it entirely.
> >
> > I'm a little confused about this though. Anybody is free, of course, to
> > produce awesome royal beefy-ness spins, but is it appropriate for those
> > to be produced using funding provided by Fedora to promote Fedora?
>
> Yes.  Why wouldn't it be appropriate?

Is my custom Hello Kitty spin with all Fedora graphics replaced by cute
pink kittens fair game then? Should it be?

~m