A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 21:18:52 UTC 2011

-1 to original proposal. Keep in mind that the folks on this thread are
mostly experienced contributors who'll go to great lengths to get to
FUDCon regardless of distance/timing. However, FUDCons are also
excellent for attracting new/emergent/peripheral contributors (FADs are
geared more towards experienced contributors), and for these folks,
curiosity is inversely proportional to distance.

I've loved the local students and Linux hobbyists who came by out of
curiosity in all the FUDCons I've ever been to, and I'd hate to limit
that to one region. I know Robyn's original proposal suggested
alternating years of global FUDCons with regional ones, but our
community moves so fast that I don't think that's going to be enough - 2
years is aeons in the Fedora world to *not* have an event you can get to.

If we want to keep living, thriving, growing, bringing in new folks, we
can't consolidate into one elite gathering. I know it's not meant to be
an exclusive proposal, but I strongly believe it would raise
participation barriers enough to have the same sort of effect. To put my
money where my mouth is, I'd personally be willing to work on getting
more "important stuff" to happen at non-NA FUDCons and gatherings and
would be happy to coach anyone who wants to run a non-NA FUDCon or FAD.[0]

--Mel

[0] I mean, I'll coach NA events as well, but the need seems greater in
other geos.