A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 08:13:52 UTC 2011

On Monday, April 18, 2011 04:02:34 PM Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 04/16/2011 05:43 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > That is not necessarily problematic, but it leads the FUDCons in other
> > places in the world to have to try and find their own way of becoming
> > the yearly "key" event in that region. Perhaps that too is part of what
> > makes these events be perceived as less of the place to be, the
> > happening of the year.
>
> So, it sounds to me like there are a few ways (off the top of my head)
> to address this concern:
>
> 1) A "requested" list. If there are specific people that you would like
> to have at a FUDCon event, it never ever hurts to ask.
> 2) Scheduling decision making activities at FUDCons outside of North
> America. I think that there is no conscious bias towards N.A. on this,
> as opposed to it being a byproduct of the attendees. I would personally
> be happy to see FESCo and Board meetings happen at FUDCons, as well as
> meetings like the "Spins" session. (I would add the "governance"
> session, but my head is still ringing from that last one.)
>
> I would be very interested in hearing suggestions on what we can do to
> help make FUDCons in non-NA geos more attractive/successful/productive.
>
> I admit the idea of a "Super FUDCon" is appealing to me, but I don't
> like the idea of discriminating against the events in smaller geos to
> get it done.

It's probably only the question of budget - if we can get "all" relevant people
together from FESCo, Board and SIGs to one place, it's one step to "Super
FUDCon", even without discriminating smaller geo events (some of these meetings
in EMEA, LATAM? Why not!).

PS: I don't want to sound like I don't want geo based events in EMEA, LATAM
etc.!!!