New trademark approval policy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 21:07:14 UTC 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Virtual_images_or_appliances_with_unmodified_Fedora_software
>
> "It is permissible to use the Fedora Trademarks without prior permission
> in connection with the provision and sale of virtual images or appliance
> distributions pre-loaded with Fedora software, provided that..."
>
> Fedora on EC2 complies with all of this. So I'm ... puzzled, I suppose,
> as to why I'm running around trying to have an "officially sanctioned"
> test day, some sort of signoff sheet, and blessing by release
> engineering, for an image that the SIG itself is entirely capable of
> creating in 5 minutes now, and obviously would test anyhow because
> people take pride in what they do, etc.

The concern is probably how the preloading is being done, and if we start offering it now, will we continue offering it in the future, and should it be a releng task to get them uploaded at the same time we do the rest of the release.

I will admit, that part of the policy went in and when I had the release engineer hat I didn't notice it.  I think those in the releng slots get a little twitchy when "official" offerings are made that don't go through the releng team.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!