trusted computing SIG formation

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 14 22:15:29 UTC 2011

Am 14.02.2011 19:58, schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> My understanding of the Security Lab spin is that it tends to be
> analysis and forensic tools, often booted from live media to avoid
> disturbing the system in question.

+1 yes, this is the major use case

> However, booting from external media is anathema to the idea of trusted
> boot, where the entire idea is that there's a chain of measured trust
> from the BIOS to the bootloader to the OS, unless you're pre-seeding
> the BIOS/bootloader with the hash/signature/etc. of the Security Spin

thanks! - understood - i had trust-verification in mind - so it is a
question if you trust the media that you boot or not. You are right
maybe FSL is the wrong platform to work on that.

Btw. if it comes to trust, i want to advertise the OSSTMM 3 starting
with Page 87 Trust Analysis.
http://www.isecom.org/mirror/OSSTMM.3.pdf - do you trust the link? -
Just joking it is really worth reading it ;)

Excited what this "trusted computing SIG" will come up with - i will
lurk to find out more!

Thanks again - cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688