Dear Fedora board, please open your trac

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 11 16:25:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Otherwise two Trac instances - private and public could be solution as Toshio
> pointed out but it will be also more difficult for us to work with it - is ticket
> #22 private or public?

My first reaction was to agree with Toshio's sentiment here -- having
two different Trac instances would definitely be confusing.  I decided
to  a step back for a moment, however, and use one of my favorite
techniques on the problem.  This technique is called design
thinking[1], and I've found it to be invaluable for helping out in
problem solving.

The first step of design thinking is to create a clear definition of
the problem we're trying to solve.  Based on the comments so far, it
seems to me that the stated problem is that "public data is somehow
trapped inside private Board tickets".  While there may be a few
instances of that happening, I can tell you unequivocally that the
vast majority of tickets are for things that the Board has chosen to
keep private (usually relating to individual persons, legal matters,
and such).  In the rest of the tickets, we talk about the tickets in
our meetings, and make no secret about what the tickets are related
to.  Are there other problems you're trying to address with this
proposal, other than the one I stated?  If so, let's discuss it here.
Once we have a clear definition of the problem, then we can move on to
research, ideation, etc.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_thinking

--
Jared Smith