Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:46:00 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 10:52 +0100 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:

> The question number one is (sorry if I missed it!) - what's the purpose of this
> multi spin DVD?
>
> 1. Is it master medium for ambassadors so they can prepare for example live USB
> flash disks? They can easily share spins?
>
> Then the answer is easy - syslinux boot menu is ok - we don't want to touch
> spins as it's master image to create user the final end user experience based on
> this multi dvd spins isos.
>
> 2. Or is it going to be more end user product?
> Then we need more work there - syslinux is definitely NOT the solution. Even GDM
> is not.

It is meant for distribution, so I thin 2 is the correct answer. However
the menu is not syslinux but GRUB and looks exactly like the other live
media or installed systems but with other menu entries.

> What's my idea?
> Let's boot first to plain session - similar as firstboot and let users select
> there with some guidance, introduction what's Fedora, what are spins for etc.
> For example rich, QML based UI...

This is indeed an interesting suggestion. Think of an application / a
wizard that is similar to spins.fedoraproject.org: For all desktops we
could have a short introduction and a screenshot, followed by a "Try it
now" button.

I really like that idea, but I think it's not a trivial task because
display managers can be a huge PITA. I'm maintaining one and work with
upstream, so I know what I'm talking about. Therefor I suggest to stick
to what we have right now. There will always be room vor improvement.

Regards,
Christoph