Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 22:26:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/11 1:16 PM, David Riches wrote:
>> Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
>> creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
>> cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
>>
>> Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
>> appreciate more info
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> Hrm, apparently my memory is failing me.  Nobody else remembers doing
> the grub on a CD test way back when, but they all seem to indicate that
> it is a bad idea with grub(1), and grub2 is just too untested.

I don't think chainloading an ISO from GRUB 1 is possible. I tried
this with System Rescue CD with the ISO copied into /boot but because
GRUB uses Interrupt 13h it can't be used for the virtual CD. I ended
up having to copy the kernel/initrd and image from the CD and booting
it the more traditional way.

My memory is a little hazy at this point but it's something like that.

I'm not sure if GRUB2 has the same limitation.

Richard