Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jan 13 09:41:25 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 07:08:17 pm Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > How does it provide a hassle at every boot? I'm confused here. What I
> > think would be a hassle is having to reboot just to try out a different
> > desktop.... with a GDM-controlled selection you could simply log out of
> > one and log back in, no reboot required.
>
>       * With a GDM you dont get the full experience of the Spin/Desktop.
>         People need to see KDM for KDE and LXDM for LXDE. Oherwise they
>         don't get what they install, which would be a violation of the
>         spins guidelines.
>       * We don't have a way to install the different spins if everything
>         is one media.
>       * Even if we had the technology to do this, we would need to do QA
>         all over again.
>       * This QA would then not cover all test cases. One desktop test
>         case for example is that the display manager works and unlocks
>         the keyrings automatically (if applicable).
>       * If we don't provide the original ISOs, people cannot burn CDs or
>         create USB keys from the media.

I don't think it's a big issue - yes, GDM is visually a little bit plain as
we're trying to have a nice and Fedora artwork matching theme. But as I say -
it's not a big issue.

But do you know what I like on multispin DVD? It's getting Fedora back to the
roots! Show-room of the best open source software. I don't understand the line
someone is putting there because of holy desktop environment war!

So I really like idea of having multi spin as Fedora default offering - composed
of the best open source software, with users who can choose their desktop
environment (just one click in GDM/KDM/LXDM whatever) and they can use best open
source software without artifical barriers! A lot of users missed it when we were
real Fedora - just ask them :)

I'm not saying we should throw away spins - for purists - there could be Gnome,
Plasma and others still available.

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>