Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Thu Jan 13 19:35:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 13:36 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On 1/12/11 1:16 PM, David Riches wrote:
>> > Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
>> > creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
>> > cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
>> >
>> > Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
>> > appreciate more info
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>>
>> Hrm, apparently my memory is failing me.  Nobody else remembers doing
>> the grub on a CD test way back when, but they all seem to indicate that
>> it is a bad idea with grub(1), and grub2 is just too untested.
>
> Remember, this isn't a CD medium. It's of a size that's only going to
> fit on a dual-layer DVD or a USB stick. So the relevant scenarios are
> not 'any system with an optical drive' but 'systems likely to have
> dual-layer capable DVD drives' (or, I guess, BD drives) and USB booting,
> which is I believe rather different from CD/DVD booting?

IIRC dual-layer DVDs are actually written into the DVD standard. If
you have a DVD logo on the drive it must be capable of reading dual
layers.

Writing dual-layer DVD's is a different matter entirely, and reading
burnt dual layer DVDs is hit or miss. But pressed DVDs typically don't
have those problems.