Fedora website, Red Hat, copyright notices and FPCA

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 17:43:00 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 12:52 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
>   If You are not the copyright holder of a given Contribution that You
>   wish to Submit to Fedora (for example, if Your employer or
>   university holds copyright in it), it is Your responsibility to
>   first obtain authorization from the copyright holder to Submit the
>   Contribution under the terms of this FPCA on behalf of, or otherwise
>   with the permission of, that copyright holder.  One form of such
>   authorization is for the copyright holder to place, or permit You to
>   place, an Acceptable License For Fedora on the Contribution.
>
> So it addresses the issue of works made for hire and such, in the
> gentlest possible way. But it only applies to 'Contributions' - the
> original creative things that *You* the Contributor personally
> created. It does not refer to anything else.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, to be honest. I think the case
where a Fedora Contributor packages up an explicitly licensed piece of
code falls within this case. I do agree that it doesn't grant any sort
of licensing permission on an unlicensed work, but it does advise how
such a work could be brought under the FPCA.

~tom

==
Fedora Project