Difficult to find information about how Fedora is governed

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 17:31:19 UTC 2011

On 3/12/11 9:20 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Jesse, first off I do have a question for you I stupidly didn't think to
> ask, because I made some assumptions:
>
> - the person you talked to, were they a Fedora contributor or a Fedora
> user?

The person is a Fedora user who was looking to become a contributor (of
at least an opinion).

> - what he was trying to accomplish - cite a series of complaints? What
> would have been the appropriate place to ferry him off to?

He was trying to understand why a set of decisions had been made which
led to something which he felt the need to complain about.  He wanted to
offer his opinion as a long time user.  He had opinions about the
leadership or the direction of the project.  I think he should have
wound up on F-a-b list.

> My assumptions were that it was a contributor, and she or he wanted to
> cite some complaints that would have been appropriate to bring up on
> this mailing list here (advisory-board@). Are these assumptions correct?

Almost :)

> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 09:51 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Beyond the general statements above, I do not have specific suggestions
>> on what content should be up there, although I did speak briefly with Mo
>> and she has some ideas she'll reply with once she is no longer traveling.
>
> Some goals I think that might be good here:
>
> - Somewhere on fedoraproject.org (it seems the 'About' page/section
> would be most appropriate) a user could learn more about our governance
> structure and get deep linked into the appropriate wiki pages / blogs /
> etc.

That would help.

> - When you go to the Overview of Fedora on the wiki (which is linked to
> fairly widely), there's a section on governance. A user from this page
> should be able to access a 'governance' page with an org chart that deep
> links into each of the Board / FESCo / FAmSco pages.

That would be awesome!

> - (I know this is pipe-dreamish, but maybe less so now with Zarafa)
> Users can access a project-wide schedule that includes public board
> meeting times from the Board wiki page.
>
> Where else would someone expect to read about the structure of the
> project's governance? Maybe a fiiter nav item on the web site in
> addition to the about page shout-out?
>
> ~m
>
> p.s. One cool idea would be to have an RSS plugin for media wiki (I've
> used one before on my own wiki so I know it works) and have that hooked
> into the board's blog and display it on the board wiki page...

Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating