Why we DO need a legal entity, why it must have "Fedora" in it's name and why it must be granted the trademark

Gerold Kassube gerold at lugd.org
Sat May 21 19:20:23 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 21.05.2011, 20:59 +0200 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> Am Samstag, den 21.05.2011, 14:33 -0400 schrieb Jan Wildeboer:
> > The three things you mention - money, liability, earnings sound more about
> > running a company and not like a non-profit assisting the day to day
> > proceedings of a community.
> >
> > If that is what you want - that is what Red Hat is and offers ;-)
>
> So, ATM Red Hat hardly offers me any money, in fact I offer them credit.
> Getting money from Comm Arch works (mostly), but having Red Hat Germany
> pay for something is nearly impossible.
>
> Next up are liability and earnings. What can Red Hat offer me there?
>
> If I get a credit card, will there also be a clause that Red Hat takes
> over the liability for my bookings? The drafted documents I have seen
> seem to indicate the opposite: The contributor is liable to Red Hat.
>
> And what about the earnings? Is comm arch able to receive money from
> people who buy swag or ambassadors who buy polos? Is it able to spend
> money on something in the fiscal year 2011 and in return receive a
> payment for it in 2012? The NPO can because it's not a profit driven
> company.
>
> I cannot help it but frankly speaking your reply does not make me feel
> as if you really read my initial mail. What can Red Hat as a company
> offer to solve our problems?
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

Christoph,
I understand you totally and I can answer you directly:
NOTHING ....
Because the process how "community" should be paid for expenses is (just
in my eyes) either not in place or still defined.
There is a "personal agreement" between you and a Red Hat Employee who
promised you to be reimbursed for your expenses as a "Fedora" related
person without any official order.

Just my five cents

Gerold