Improving the Spins process

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 13 15:28:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Me too. However, as we discussed in the IRC meeting, we've
> intentionally given great flexibility to the Spins Wranger in how they
> decided to work and what that workflow should be. Since these slides
> aren't a major departure from what we have now and not insane, I say
> Go Forth And Just Do It(TM) :)

There are two other related topics, that while not directly related to
Christoph's slides, are things that came up in discussions in Milan
and are worth discussing in a bigger venue:

1) We discussed whether the desktop media should go through the same
process, essentially treating it just like we treat the rest of the
spins.  This would give us a more organized way to review the
kickstart file, make sure the design team is happy with the artwork,
etc. just like we would for spins.  I think this is probably a good
idea, but would love more feedback from the desktop folks and the
design team before making a final decision on this.  The intention is
not to add a layer of bureaucracy, but to simply help add some
structure to what is currently fairly unstructured.

2) While discussing some of the shortcomings of using wiki categories
to track progress on Spins, we also talked about the Features process
and how it too might benefit from using a ticketing system to track
progress of features.  As I understand it, Robyn (as the Fedora
Program Manager) already opens a FESCo ticket for each feature (so
that it's on the FESCo agenda), but uses wiki categories to track the
state (proposed, accepted, rejected, etc.) of each feature.  Is there
interest in moving the features process over to using tickets for
keeping track of the feature state, and keeping the discussion about
the feature in one easy-to-find location, rather than having it
scattered across talk pages, wiki pages, and FESCo meeting minutes?

I welcome your thoughts and comments on either of these two ideas.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader