Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:11:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Board members and everyone else,
>
> I have just subscribed to this list in order to raise this question, apologies
> if I am breaking any list ettiquette. :-)
>
> Based on a recent (today's) death of Dennis Ritchie, the man who invented both
> C and UNIX (along with Kernighan and Thompson, of course), I am proposing a
> way for the Fedora Community to pay respects to him, in the following way.
>
> (1) To open a vote for the following change in the Fedora codenames:
>     * to rename the upcoming F16 release from "Verne" to "Ritchie",
>     * to rename the F17 release from "Beefy Miracle" to "Verne",
>     * to name the F18 release "Beefy Miracle".
> (2) To implement the decision reached by voting.

This is a lovely sentiment but I think it would prove difficult to
accomplish at this point in time and would be a little disruptive to
the artwork/codename theming that is already finished.

As an alternative I would suggest leaving the codenames as they are
but when we release F16 we do so in memory of Dennis Ritchie.

John